Gooooood Morning/Noon/After Noon/Evening, kids!
So, my long time gaming buddy and online-turned-RL friend was thoughtful enough to gift me games in steam :D. I’ve been going through some tough times and, well, I mean yeah they’re just games and stuff but seriously he knew it’d make my day and he knew I’d been eyeing Darkstar for a while (A few years.) now.
Ah but before all the reviews for these old but gold games, let’s start with the troubleshooting.
Because these are old, old, old games you’re going to have to expect some compatibility issues such crashing on start-up, BEX events, and other compatibility errors SO! Here’s what worked for me:
I simply had to add the .exe file as an exemption in Data Execution Prevention. If you already know how to navigate to that, ok great. If not, then here’s how (FOR WINDOWS 7):
- Go to Control Panel.
- Click System and Security
- Click System
- In the left panel, you should be able to see Advanced System Settings, go ahead and click that.
- You should get a pop-up that says System Properties; Under the Advanced tab there should be a box that says Performance inside that is the Settings button, click that.
- You’re going to get a pop-up that says Performance Options. Click Data Execution Prevention tab.
- Click the “Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select:” Button.
- Click Add… Now usually your steam directory is here: C:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\YOUR USER NAME HERE
- Select the .exe from there and click open! There, you’re done.
IF this didn’t work for you then there are other ways such as installing a registry entry, which I don’t really recommend you messing with the registry if you don’t know what you’re doing because that’s going to be tedious to fix.
Anyway, here’s the link to the Registry fix if you feel that you must: Patrician III at GOG.com
If none of these worked for you, you can try lurking around in forums for other fixes and please, please do tell me about it because you can never have too much troubleshooting methods.
Right, so, I’ll stop here and enjoy my games because I was just buying time till steam finally finished downloading LOL. Have fun and stay sharp, kids!